Living in MN we have long enough time to wear hats and other winter attire, so I wanted to make a headband ear warmer that blends in with my hair for those days when your not sure if you should wear a hat or not. I love the ideal that it looks almost like a hairstyle. I had the ideal for this last year after seeing a picture Julia Tyoshenko with her hair braided as if it was a headband. I've seen other stars (Lauren Conrad and Zoe Deschanel) rocking this look since well as well (in a hair style that is) seen pictured below.
|Lauren Conrad image found via Viva Fashions|
|Zoe Deschanel via Kidzworld|
This headband is just barely wide enough to cover your ears. I tried to make it wider (18 stitches wide) and I found out anything much wider than 8 stitches will not look right when you try to braid it. The finished headband is about 21" long and 2 1/4" wide (each of the 3 strands should be about an inch wide). If you don't want to make this and would rather buy it check out in my Etsy shop.
Gauge = 4 stitches per inch
K - knit
P - purl
CO- cast on
What you need:
- Size 8 knitting needles
- worsted weight yarn (about 160 yards) I used Lion Brand Fisherman's wool
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch holder (a scrap piece of yarn or big safety pins will also work)
- CO 8 stitches.
- Row 1 (right side) K1, *p1, k1; repeat from * to end. (K1 P1 ribbing)
- Repeat row 1 (knit in knits and purl into purls until your piece measures about 25″ (or what will best fit your head) and bind off end
- Repeat for 2 more sections (you should have 3 sections)
- hand sew three pieces together and braid
- once your satisfied with the braid hand sew together the end (the 3 sections together) and then hand sew the ends of the braids together
- weave in any remaining threads
Check out my other free patterns: