How to Make Your Own Fabric Weights

1:33 PM

In fashion design school we learned that in the industry they hardly used pins for cutting but instead use a marker (a sheet that shows the best cutting layout with a few layers of fabric), and fabric weights. The reason is it takes to long to pin pattern pieces to fabric.  I do have large heavy weights I purchased from my teachers like the ones here.  But I thought it would be nice to have some more for the smaller areas and for my sewing students to use.  I find this tutorial on the website Oh, Fransson! for making fabric weights with pennies.  Such a great idea.  I plan to make so soon.  You can find the full tutorial here.


  • 50 pennies, 2 flannel* squares 3.5" x 3.5" for interlining, 1 fabric square 3.5" x 3.5" for top, 2 fabric rectangles 3.5" x 2.25" for bac



weights measure about 2.5" x 2.5" and are each weighted with 50 pennies

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

How to Tailor Clothes Series

Start Our Free Sewing Class